Thursday, October 6, 2011

Blog #8


John Brown's Last Speech and Henry Highland Garnet's "From a Memorial Discourse" both state that the institution of slavery should be extinguished throughout America on the basis of our Constitution and of Christianity. As a southern plantation owner, I must say it is intriguing that they should make such claims as our country is founded on life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I suggest that I am in my own pursuit of happiness and have the liberty to own a plantation and my slaves that tend to it. When I was a citizen prior to our secession of the United States, I was wrongly denied this freedom, as my slaves were not citizens and therefore do not have the same claims to liberty as I do. I have a fundamental disagreement with Garnet's argument: "...all men holding allegiance to the government shall enjoy every right of American citizenship", because I do not believe that slaves should ever be given the right to become citizens. I disagree with John Brown's Last Speech because of its tenants regarding religion as he says he "...endeavored to act up to that [God's] instruction", because I do not consider myself a Christian and was free of religious persecution when I lived in the United States as well. So I disagree with Brown’s speech, as I should not have to abide by his Christian rules.  My non-christian values do not require me to treat others on an equal level and I prefer a country where I am not forced into religious ideals. Deliberating on both these matters, I am grateful to have seceded with the south where I can enjoy true freedom and possess slaves as they play an big economic role in my life.

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting post, though I wonder if a Southern plantation owner in the 19th century would openly admit he was NOT a Christian. Remember that Douglass says that the "best" Christians were the most brutal masters?

    ReplyDelete